Turn Your Love for Music into a Career
Who says you have to live in Los Angeles or Nashville to pursue a career in music? Northwest University offers the only four-year, accredited recording arts program in the Pacific Northwest. Our Music Production major will help you break into this competitive field through hands-on training using state-of-the-art studio equipment and facilities. It’s one of the reasons why our students have 100% job placement upon graduation.
Tracks to Choose From
- Producer Track: Create a live musical event or a recording project.
- Recording Arts Technology Track: Apply recording technology in the production of a live musical event or recording project which meets industry standard.
Why Music Production at NU?
- Choose from two areas of concentration: the Producer Track, or the Recording Arts Track.
- Attend small classes where you receive personal attention from award-winning instructors who are industry veterans.
- Study the fundamentals of analog and digital audio recording systems while exploring the workings of the music industry, but also learn how to understand music in an exciting, hands-on environment.
- Learn your craft using top-tier, industry-rated recording equipment and facilities.
- Put your learning into action through local and national internships that offer real-world experience in employment and ministry contexts.
- Take advantage of NU’s close proximity to Seattle, which is one of the top six music scenes in the U.S.
- Benefit from the program’s 100% job placement record since launching in 2010.
Learn On Gear That The Pros Use
- Kirkland Performing Arts Center, (Kirkland, WA)
- Overlake Christian Church, (Redmond, WA)
- New Life Church, (Renton, WA)
- Canyon Hills Church, (Bothell, WA)
- City Church, (All Locations)
- Vossler Media Group, (Kirkland, WA)
- EastWest Studios, (Los Angeles, CA)
Looking to Transfer?
Complete Your Degree at NU
You’ve spent time completing general education requirements, perhaps at several colleges. Now NU is ready to work with you to complete your degree. Upper-division courses will roll out as appropriate based on enrollment, but your journey to NU isn’t delayed as you get started on your Christian Formation courses. NU also offers enriching minors to add value to your already valuable degree!
- Business Administration
- Media Ministry
Check out the Transfer Guide to see how your previous courses will transfer and Request an Unofficial Review from your Admissions Counselor.
A Message from the Creative Director
The Music Production major will provide the training and experience you need for a fascinating career in the world of music production or engineering. You'll start by learning the “nuts and bolts” of acoustic theory and then work in our state-of-the-art studios to produce and mix your own tracks. Live sound opportunities both on and off campus will be provided in professional equipment selection, acoustic setup, and technical direction. Graduates of our audio programs have found jobs at recording studios, stage venues, and churches around the country–and their training has impressed new employers as being one of the few programs where their new employees are ready to be productive from the first day.
Creative Director and Grammy Award Winning Recording Engineer
Common Career Paths
A degree from our Music Production program can help you launch your career immediately after graduation. Some of the fields that a degree in Music Production can open up for you include:
- Recording Engineering
- Music Production
- Church Music
- TV & Radio
- Movie and Game Soundtracks